Posted by: Justin | September 15, 2007

OPRAH THE THEOLOGIAN

Oprah is one the most followed people not just in the United States, but in the world. I was surprised to know that people in India watch her frequently and quote her.

She recently promoted the book ‘The Secret’ which is a New Age book about speaking things into existence. It obviously has lot of similarities to the Word of Faith movement. ‘The Secret’ soared in amazon.com right after Oprah’s endorsement which goes to show her influence primarily on women.

The clip below shows an exchange between the audience and Oprah during one of her ‘after-show’ segments.

I think there were erroneous statements said on both sides. Oprah obviously won the most loving heretical statement award.

Here is some tidbits of what Oprah said in the clip (not exact quotes) with my commentary.

OPRAH: There is this wonderful book called ‘Ismael’ by Daniel Quinn… One of the points it brings out is that one of the mistakes human beings make is that there is only one way to live.. instead there are million ways to be human…There are many paths to what you call ‘God’. Her path might be something else and when she gets there she might call it the ‘light’. But her loving and kindness and generosity.. if it brings her to the same point that it brings you, then it doesn’t matter if she called it ‘God’ along the way or not.

>> Obviously, Oprah there are many ways to live. I can live as a farmer, teacher, engineer, pastor, politician. People are created differently and God has placed different desires in different people. I’m glad we are not alike in every way.

However, we cannot use the same logical construct on TRUTH. Truth is objective, not subjective. Either something is true or its false. Simple as that. <<

AUDIENCE MEMBER: There is only one way!

OPRAH: How can there possibly be only one way??

AUDIENCE MEMBER: What about Jesus?

OPRAH: What about Jesus…

AUDIENCE MEMBER: There is one way and only one way and that is Jesus. Because you say it and you intellectualize it, doesn’t mean there isn’t only one way.

>> The word ‘intellectualize’ is almost like a bad word in Christendom these days. Many have come to the conclusion that no one can reasonably with their intellect come to the knowledge of Christ. I beg to differ.<<

AUDIENCE MEMBER: If you don’t believe it, you are all buying into the lie.

OPRAH: Do you think if you were somewhere on the planet and you never hear the name of Jesus, but yet you live with a loving heart, you lived as Jesus would have had you to live, you lived for the same purpose as Jesus that came to the planet to teach us all. But you are in some remote part of the earth and you never have heard the name of Jesus. You can’t get into heaven you think?

>> This is one of the main reasons why us as Christians should be focused on preaching the Word to the entire world.
“For Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard?” (Rom. 10:13-14).

Oprah, the focus should not be merely in ‘believing’ in God’s Son named Jesus. The question is who will redeem us from our sins, because are not able to ourselves. When we face God on judgment day, we will have to give an account for all the sins we have done. God being a Just and Holy God, will be the perfect judge and give us what we deserve. <<

AUDIENCE MEMBER: God knows the heart..

OPRAH: Does God care about your heart, or does God care about that you call His Son Jesus?

AUDIENCE MEMBER: You know Oprah, Jesus cannot come back until that Gospel is preached in the four corners of this Earth. You know figure it out!

>> Is this biblical? If you guys can find scriptural reference to this, please comment on my blog. (UPDATE: I think I’m convinced by arguments of couple of people who commented on the blog. Thanks!)<<

OPRAH: You know, Okay, Okay, I can’t get into a religious argument with you.

>> Clearly, Oprah ran out of arguments and she had to shift gears. Good move.<<

NOTE: The scripture isn’t clear on what will happen to those who haven’t heard of Jesus. In my opinion, if there was a way for people who have never heard the gospel to go to heaven, then the best thing Christ could’ve done was not to tell his disciples to spread the good news to all the world.

For those who have no knowledge of the Law of God, they have not broken the commandments. However, does that mean they will escape judgment? No. God will judge them according to their own consciences.

All men have fallen short and so even those who have not heard the gospel have broken their own consciences. How would they be redeemed from that violation and what will happen when they face a just and Holy God?

The Answer: Jesus Christ.

And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
—Colossians 2:13-14

Obviously, there is a lot more to say about this subject. Here are some links of other ministries with their take on this subject.

What happens to those who have never heard about Jesus? (Gotquestions.org)

What about those who’ve never heard the Gospel?(Bethinking.org)

What happens to those who have never heard the gospel?(Carm.org)

Salvation is not a theology test (Stand to Reason blog)

God Bless,

Justin

Advertisements

Responses

  1. As to whether the audience member’s comment about Jesus’ coming is biblical, I think it is. Very much so.

    Matthew 24:14 “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached as a witness unto all nations, AND THEN shall the end come.

  2. Yeah man, I agree with TheObserver, The Great Commission must be fully discharged and ‘ONLY THEN’ will the end come. The 10/40 Window, which is a cluster of 66 nations is often referred to as the “Final Frontier” of missions. It is imperative that Christ followers respond to the call to Evangelize for the only condition that Jesus refers to with regard to His return is the Gospel being preached in all Nations[peoples group] as a witness.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: